Wednesday, February 24, 2010

End of Wrestling Season = Get My Butt Training!!!!

Well we finished off wrestling season last weekend and ended up having a State Champion and a State Runner-up at the Iowa High School Championships.  We took 3 kids up to state and finished in 7th place overall, with just a couple of points out of the top 5.  Overall, it was a great year and I will miss this year's seniors as they graduate and move on with their lives.  It has been an enjoyable 4 years watching these kids grow up and have the success that they have achieved.  With everything, all good things come to an end. 

Now that wrestling season is over, my training for my Half Ironman must get into full swing.  I have been steady riding my bike since November at least once or twice a week on the trainer.  Now I have to be diligent about getting in at least 3 rides per week, as well as, 3 runs and probably 3 swims.  The swimming is going to be the most challenging, just because of timing and scheduling.  I am working on being at the YMCA at 5:30 am to get my swim in, then showering and getting to work by 7:00 am.  So I am still working on the logistics for that, so there should be more to come.  As far as my running goes, I hadn't done any running since Thanksgiving.  Last week, I decided to go for a run and ended up going 7 miles on the treadmill........bad, bad decision.  As a future lesson, don't run 7 miles when you haven't done anything for 3 months.  My legs were so sore that I couldn't even get out of bed in the morning.  Since then I have done a couple smaller runs and my legs and cardio seem to be fine.  I have a 7 mile run to do tonight, so I am curious to see how my body / legs respond to that.  I am ready for this winter to get over and start getting outside for my run training.  The temperature doesn't bother me as much as the ice does on the roads / streets.  It has defnitely been a long winter and I am looking forward to spring!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment