Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Training Update

Its been a few weeks since I last posted and the training has been going well.  Following my plan as best as I can but there have been a few interuptions but that happens and I'm not going to worry about it.  I did take a few days off last week because we went to the NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Tournament in Omaha.  It was a great time and too bad the Cyclones didn't have a better tournament but they finished strong and ended up with a 3rd place trophy.  Getting back on the training was tough after drinking 16 oz Budweisers for 3 days!!!  This week is a run focused training week for me so the bike segment is a little down as well as the swimming.  My swim yesterday was terrible and I just didn't feel comfortable in the water.  It was another speed work day and I have come to not like those as much...I am not a fast swimmer and I think trying to be really throws my stroke mechanics out of whack.  I did an interval based run yesterday for an hour and the speed work "was" a nice change of pace for me as I typically just run at a certain pace for a certain time.  During my 6 minute intervals, I managed to start at 8:30 and work my way down to 7:30 by the end.  Legs were tired from the swim that day but overall it was a good training day and ended on a positive note.  Speaking of positives, I finally had a swimming breakthrough today.  My plan called for 2x1200 but the pool doesn't open early enough to get that amount in, so I thought I would swim for a mile if possible.  Once I got in the pool, I was still a little panicky from the day before.  I finally settled into my stroke after about 200 meters and was smooth sailing after that.  Once I got to 2000, I wanted to go further but I was starting to get to the end of my time limit, so I had to get out and get showered and head to work.....breakthrough day for me in the pool today. 

Today's swim is giving me confidence that I can complete the swim in the Kansas HIM that is still 10 weeks away.....hopefully that carries over to the other areas as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment